Wednesday was observation day. That is probably the hardest part of our job- looking like we know what we are doing :). The good thing was we had a talk right after roll of respect and showing visitors how we behave in our classroom. I told my kids that my professor was coming in to watch me today and that she wasn't only watching me but that she was watching my students and seeing how well they represent room 8 learning. The observation went really well. Of course there are things that I could have done better but over all I achieved the lesson objective while managing and guiding the learners. I only had my maths group so it wasn't the whole class which was really nice as well. Honestly I was nervous but as soon as Erika showed up all of those feelings disappeared and I just focused on the kids.
Afterwards we had a mini debrief where we talked about the lesson. This was kind of a big deal only because my internship recommendation rides on this one observation. I scored very well and Erika said that she's confident that I will do very well at the internship. I will find out next week if I have been picked for an internship or not. Yes I'm nervous about getting one but I also know that I've given it my best shot and whatever is meant to work out will happen.
Thursday was also an awesome day because I got to be on the radio! Here at Pomaria school the kids operate a daily radio program during their lunch period. It's the kids job to write the scripts and organize the radio show each day. They also act as DJ meaning they pick out the songs the radio will play. There is a teacher in charge of the radio but she is only there as a resource because the radio is completely student run. There are usually two students directing the show each day and two more acting as techies if something goes wrong or needs to be tweaked. The students take turns running the radio program.
Some of the girls in my class are DJs on the radio and asked if they could interview me as part of their radio show. The program is only broadcast out for a few kilometers but it's still an awesome opportunity for the kids to make connections and contribute to the community. My interview lasted a whole five minutes and they just asked me what kinds of pets I have at home, what I have enjoyed about New Zealand, etc. I even got to pick the next song that they played (Just the way you are by Bruno Mars). All in all it was a great ending to the week since we have tomorrow off!
No comments:
Post a Comment