Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Class of 50+

Today I had a unique experience. All of the teachers minus a select few left the school at 12:30 for a meeting with the teachers union. There's been some struggles with the government and teacher's pay as of late (sound familiar?) and so a meeting was scheduled that was mandatory for teachers to attend (who are part of the union). Unlike most schools the principal decided to keep the school open and not to have an early release day. So at the close of recess all of the students were gathered into the hall (the gym) and sorted into one of 9 groups. The remaining teachers were then assigned to one of those groups for the remainder of the day. It actually turned out to be 8 groups because one of the teachers who was supposed to help out was actually out sick.

Elise and I (one of my fellow BYU girls) were given a group of 52 kids to take care of for the rest of the day. The students were spread out from new entrants (kids start school when they turn five no matter when that is during the year and they can't start school before the age of 5 so new entrants or new kids come in randomly during the school year and are sent to a special class before mixing with the rest of the school) to year 6. I know- quite the spread. Last night Elise and I had worked out a rotation with one other teacher where we would have 20 minute stations. Station 1- with me making patterns out of blocks and also drawing them on paper. Station 2- Elise reading a story and asking comprehension questions to the kids. Station 3- puzzels of all shapes and sizes.

I'll admit it was a bit daunting to have 52 pairs of eyes staring up at you as you divide the students and send them off to the stations but I loved it! I loved having the freedom of planning and working with my new class even if it was for a short period of time. It made me wonder how the teachers back in the olden days succeeded with students at every age level. We didn't have time for much instruction but the kids were able to enjoy two of the three rotations. At the end of the day we had to line them up and bring them back to the hall. I was proud of my students they lined up quietly and quickly. There were a few backpacks left in one of the rooms that we used and some of the older learners volunteered to help me sort out who had left their backpack behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment