Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday Madness


Today was crazy. There was a lot to do but also not a lot. I spent the whole day in a planning meeting for the next term with my teacher. It was super interesting because their planning and standards are different. In the states you have the curriculum standards per grade level but here it is just a level. So the year that you are in school and the level that you are don't match. So the teachers of a certain planning group get together and plan the levels instead of plan as a grade (if that makes sense). I couldn't contribute much to the meetings but I gave as much as I could. It was a little intimidating because the principal and assistant principal sat in on most of the meeting and I wanted to give a good impression. With my limited experience I didn't have too much to offer but I offered a few good insights every once in a while which was good.

The meeting ended at 3 which was just enough time to stop by the bathroom before the next meeting that included the entire staff. This meeting was about a new math testing program that luckily I already knew because we had some training on it during our maths class. Right after that meeting it was off to Pack and Save to pick up treats for our FHE (family home evening) with Erika and the girls. Sara and I also taught the lesson about focusing on the good things to come (see the mormon message). We had some educational discussion about problem and project based learning before heading home. We had dinner with Julie and Beau. Beau wanted to have FHE with us but we asked if we could have it tomorrow since Sara and I were exhausted from the day and Sara hasn't been feeling well since yesterday. So we're calling it an early night.

I did forget to write about the headboy/girl assembly that happened on Friday. It is one of the biggest assemblies of the year. One difference from American assemblies is that they must walk into the gym in straight lines and in complete silence. We sang the NZ national anthem and then the ceremony began. The four heads of houses first announced the house captains and deputy captains before the headboy and girl were announced. Each student was given a special pin and hat to wear as part of their school uniform. There were quite a few parents there to support their children, which was cool to see. Yes there are house points awarded to the different houses based on good behavior and at the end of the year there is another special ceremony awarding the house cup- yes not only is NZ Middle Earth but it also feels like I walked straight into one of the Harry Potter books.

Another cool thing about my teacher is that on Fridays she does a cooking segment with the students. Her classroom is in the staff room which includes a mini kitchen. It is so awesome to have a kitchen and to watch her use it in the classroom! She has the students make a notebook called their "Master Chefs" book. In that book they keep a record of each recipe they make every Friday with ingredients, directions and a picture that they draw themselves. They also write about the experience of making the specific item and what they would do differently next time. Last Friday we made smoothies. She divides up the students into groups of three and two groups of three are in the kitchen at a time while the other students are doing various tasks around the classroom. I am getting so many great ideas from her. It's getting me really excited to have my own class this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment