Today was awesome. Rewind about a year and 6 months. I'm a missionary serving in the St. George visitors' center. The newest batch of missionaries has just arrived to our mission- a stunning two missionaries! One an elder and the other a 6ft tall, Samoan Kiwi sister straight from New Zealand. I couldn't believe my luck since NZ was always somewhere I wanted to visit and I was looking into the el ed NZ study abroad program for when I got back from my mission. Although we were never companions, Sister Tapusoa and I became pretty good friends. She was a hard working missionary willing to give her all to serve the Lord. I told her about my plan to come to NZ and she said that they have a lot of BYU girls that come and stay in her stake in Auckland. I said wouldn't it be cool if I got to meet your family and welcome you off the airplane from your mission. She said yeah it would. Then we both laughed knowing that it probably wouldn't happen.
Fast forward 18 months and where am I currently staying? In Sister Tapusoa's home ward boundaries. Although I didn't welcome her off the plane, I got to hug-tackle her at church today. It was SO awesome to see her again! They asked her to bear her testimony to the ward and then later this evening there was a fireside put on by the ward on her behalf. They had a brief slide show with some of her mission pictures and a few young men preparing on missions were asked to speak. Then her mum spoke and finally we got to hear from her. It was so amazing to be at her homecoming. It was a moment for me to relive the mission and remember that awesome missionary spirit. We had the best time catching up and sharing news about missionaries, areas, the visitors' center, etc.
We both just sat back and realized how much our missions helped to change us for the better. I know that people get tired of listening to RMs talk about their missions and yes I agree that missions must be shared in moderation. But honestly, I loved and still love my mission. At this point in my life I call it my greatest accomplishment. I love talking about it because I love the person that it has helped me to become. I know that I am a better person today because of the opportunity I had to serve the Lord for those 18 months. It astounds me at how many blessings I receive on a daily basis because of that service. While talking to Sister Tapusoa (Shayna) I realized how blessed I am to have her as a friend and that we were able to share in some of the same experiences together. It was a much needed reminder to me that although my mission is over I can still change lives and make a difference by continuing to live a gospel centered life.
No comments:
Post a Comment