Then it was time for roll and my last time of saying good morning to the students. Here it is tradition to call roll by saying good morning to each student and they say good morning back. Since I've been taking over the roll I've been using Spanish phrases that mean good morning. They all sat up so straight this morning and really worked to impress me with their accents.
The rest of the day was a blur. We had sport and then since it is good Friday tomorrow and there's no school we baked today. We made something I'll probably never make again just because it was way too sweet. It's called coconut ice and it's made with powdered sugar, coconut, jello, and sweetened condensed milk. As Mrs. Rihari was deciding the groups she originally put me with a group of girls but then a few of the boys acted pretty disappointed so she put them with me instead. While baking the boys tried to ask me every question they could possibly think of about America. :)
After cooking was morning tea. And since it was our last day we decided to "put on" morning tea meaning we brought some things for the whole staff as a thank you from us. Most of the staff had never tried pumpkin pie before and by the end of morning tea I had to start and email list so I could send out the recipe. Mr. Coromanski came and in front of the staff he personally congratulated us and thanked us for our positive contribution to the school. Then each of our teachers individually stood up and in front of everyone talked about how great we were and that they wished us all the best as we continued on to become teachers of our own classrooms.
The best part of the day happened during our "shared lunch" as they call it here. The coconut ice had to sit in the fridge for a little while to harden so before lunch we pulled it out to sample our handy work and it was one crazy sugar rush. I also cut the pies I made for class and gave each student an opportunity to taste pumpkin pie. Some loved it and a few didn't but it was a cool experience to introduce them to something so commonplace for me.
At lunch I just had to check my email because today was also internship announcements. It was the whole should I check it or should I leave it until later but I had to know so I checked my email. There it was sitting in my inbox- the email letting me know that I got an internship!!! Seriously the best feeling in the world. All of that hard work and planning paid off. I don't know the grade level yet but I'm just excited by the fact that I'm really going to be a teacher starting in August!
The last part of the day ended with me announcing to my NZ class that I will be a real teacher starting in August. They were all super excited and we have already made a skype date so that my two classes can meet each other. It was then that the class also presented me with a few gifts- a Pomaria hat, letters from each student, and a green stone necklace that each of them touched. It was SO cool and special!
The end of the day was the hardest. Mrs. Rihari left a few minutes early to go help with road patrol so I got to end the day with my class. We played one last Spanish game and then the bell rang. I told them how much I loved them and will miss them and yes I started getting teary eyed... one of the boys asked me if I was crying and I of course I denied it. :) They gave me so many hugs as they headed out of the door. Ug... they were such a great class!! Why does NZ have to be SO far away from the states?!
The rest of the day was pretty chill. I said bye to Mr. Rihari- of course we're going to keep in contact and bye to a few other people before heading home. When I got home I opened up the letters from my class and to my surprise they were mostly in Spanish! My students had looked up a bunch of Spanish words and wrote me letters! It was SO cool :).
Our spread for morning tea
American Pumpkin Pie! Made from scratch :)
My fabulous mentor and myself :)
No comments:
Post a Comment