A shuttle came to pick us up at 8:30am sharp. We had already cleaned our room, taken the sheets off of our bed, and cleaned our two bathrooms, plus hauled down all of our luggage by the time the driver showed up. The very nice couple in charge of the temple housing came out to wish us a safe trip.
Ride to the airport: 1 hour. We rode in a huge 14 seater van with enough room for all of our luggage. It was a miracle that we could get everything in the car.
Airport- check in. My flight didn't leave until 1:50 so I had to wait a bit before I could check in. The other girls were flying out on a different airline so this is where we parted ways. The one thing that I don't like about flying by myself is having to watch your luggage all of the time... besides that it's kind of nice.
Flight from Sydeny to LAX: 13 hours. The flight took off an hour late but we got in only 20 minutes late which was nice. It was rather an uneventful flight. No one sat in the middle seat which meant I could spread out a bit- so nice! We had to go through customs meaning we had to pick up all of our luggage and then get admitted into the US. It was SO easy which was nice! The best part was walking to customs when I saw the Welcome to the United States of America sign that continued to say below "Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos de America."That is when I knew that I was home. :) Boy it was so nice to be back in familiar territory.
Flight from LAX to Colorado: 3 hours. Also rather uneventful. There was SNOW on the ground when we got in! Yes- SNOW! Plus it was pretty freezing but it felt good- like the way early spring should feel! This is where I had my first taste of REAL MEXICAN food in months!! Oh nothing can compare to the taste of fresh Mexican food. Especially when you haven't had it for a long time.
Flight from Colorado to Hunstville- 3 hours. This was a small plane and there was a storm heading into Huntsville (the best welcome home present- a nice big thunderstorm!!) so it was a pretty bumpy ride but it was my last airplane so I wasn't going to complain. I got in at 11pm April 18th- technically the "same" day that I left. It was the weirdest feeling... The family was there with welcome home balloons and hugs. Pretty soon the suitcases were in the car and we were on our way home.
Even though it was midnight by the time we got home my family stayed awake a bit longer to hear a few stories and for me to give them the little things I brought back for them (I just couldn't wait!). Then they all said good night. I ate my first bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios then took a long, hot shower, and finally fell into the soft, clean, purple sheets of my own bed. Home at last!
No comments:
Post a Comment